Monday, January 2, 2012

The Big Chop!

I am coming up on my 1 year anniversary of the BIG CHOP!


I was very nervous and anxious and frustrated all rolled up in one. My journey has been long but I enjoyed learning about my natural hair. I had no idea what I was doing. I started transitioning October 2010. I chopped it all off one afternoon, on Feb. 4th, 2011 and the rest is history.




I did my research on youtube. Youtube is an excellent resource on finding about new products and how to do styles. There were so many people going through the same thing as I was. Transitioning to natural hair. There youtube channels have wonderful tips on what products to use, how to make your own products and great styles to try on your newly transitioned hair.


Doing the big chop and rocking the fro is no easy task. Your hair does what it wants from day to day, some products work, some doesn't. Going from straight hair to tightly coiled hair is a different experience to say the least. You have to find what works best for you and remember to not get frustrated and go day to day. What may look busted to you looks beautiful to everyone else. I have gotten many compliments on styles I thought was horrendous.


I enjoy trying to make my hair do what I want it to do. The two strand twist outs, blow out, flat twist, and small, medium and large fro styles keep me from looking the same day to day. I am proud that I stuck it out and did not succumb to using the "creamy crack" on days that I got frustrated.


I created a page on Facebook to discuss all things natural hair and if you are a natural girl or considering transitioning or doing the Big Chop check it out sometime. It is not just be talking but many people ask questions and I answer them or find the answer or we all discuss it. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Transition-to-our-natural-roots/122876514462181?ref=tn_tnmn

Me after the big chop and some hair color. 

Me Now. 

2 comments:

  1. yeah, keep feeding us with updates. few question, did you cut your hair off to grow it back? do you want to keep your hair low forever or you just want to walk around with afro? do one really have to cut off all her hair to go natural? were there any means of going natural with the hair you had ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No you don't have to Chop it all off. You can just keep growing the perm out. I am letting it grow. It has grown considerably. I want it to get as big as it can lol. I could have contined to allow it to grow out but it is very difficult to have two different textures as your hair begins to break off and gets really dry. I decided that cutting it all off was my best option. I cut it off to grow t back healthy and stronger.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts