Monday, February 27, 2012

Viola Davis


I absolutely love her natural look. 


But I have to ask.


Should it have made such a hoopla? Is it so surprising for an african american woman to wear her hair natural? I don't think that it should have been such a huge headline for the Oscar's. She is beautiful and natural hair is beautiful but it was very awkward. It was stating that she was wig less. Like wearing "wigs" and "weaves" is the normal way for african american woman to wear their hair. 


I am glad that it may have been accepted but it makes me feel as if it is the new fad and not another beautiful way for african american woman to wear her hair. If you wear your hair straightened or tightly coiled it should be celebrated. 


I am not taking away from the opportunity it has presented for african american women to not feel obliged to wear her hair straightened at conservative award ceremonies. I love that she did this and that it is drawing attention but I feel that it was not treated as "normal". 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts