Thursday, December 29, 2011

Diversity in Law School

One of my law school friends felt that I needed to touch on this topic. I promised her I would write my thoughts today so here you go....

Yes. Law School is a culture shock. Me being African American, students in my classes have always looked like me, sound like me, dressed similar and had customs like mine.

In Law School I am truly a minority. I never walked through life and felt like the minority because in my schools, neighborhoods and jobs, there were plenty of people that look like me.

I stepped into orientation and realized I am not on the South Side of chicago anymore. I saw maybe 10-15  faces like mine. But I digress because that is not what is important. I came to get a law degree and thats what I am doing. I refuse to dwell on the issue of being a statistical figure. I am more than a small percentage of minorities allowed in. I deserve to be in Law School as well as all of my fellow minority class mates.

There are times where being a minority resurfaces and is thrown in my face. I had a young lady put some very degrading comments on "How to impersonate a black women". The impersonation used did not contain proper english, sounding very ignorant illiterate and stereotistical. It made me angry. I never want to be the victim not am I sensitive and on the fence about being a minority. But to be so insensitive can be sickening.

It has not been so bad. One of my closets friends is from law school does not look like me but its not a factor. I don't see my class mates as a race or different shades of skin color. It is hard when you have insensitive people who make broad generalizations about african americans in your presence but it does not hold me back. It does not affect me because their limitations from being ignorant and blinded is their problem not mine.

I don't see color, I see individuals. Yes, I joined the Black Law Student Association and I have an unspoken bond with the other black students but its just from the mutual respect and journey we share.

Being a minority in law school is not a handicap. I am proud of who I am but my skin color does not define me nor shape my experiences or success. You can stand up for yourself but don't allow being different hinder your success. Embrace your experiences, allow them to shape your outlook but look past the negative experiences.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts